Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Week 1 Reflection

This week I learned about all the opportunities I have to grow as a teacher by reading and watching all the resources provided. We read about students' perspectives on their education, new advancements in classroom technology and incorporating it, and about the new generation of tech savvy students. My eyes were opened to my responsibility to become more aware of the possibilities to advance my teaching methods and the tools for my students.

As a teacher in training I am always looking for ways to become better before I have the challenge of being in a school when I'm busy and it could be easy to rely on the knowledge I already have instead of research new methods. But I see how learning about media and technology is going to impact my classroom positively and for all the other content areas as well. This is also improving my quality of life for me personally by learning new techniques and tools to not waste time, be efficient, and effective in my studies, my business, and my career.

This new knowledge is definitely going to impact my future students. Instead of using a projector with a list of data for them to interpret we can easily use tools to gather data. I was thinking that for an assignment we could use pH testing strips sent home with every student, which they then measure the pH of something, and they all record their data on a groupdoc on google. That way the next day I can have an instant print out or easily work with the data they provided for graphing examples and relating science to math skills. They will feel ownership for the lesson and for the discovery. I love lessons where the students have to participate in some way. Math is hard for students to feel connected to so this way they will. Using other electronic detectors we could measure the speed of cars and learn about functions and their derivatives. We could even have the students draw designs using correct measurements and angles and maybe have the woods class create them. There are a zillion other options easily flowing through my mind right now about how to physically demonstrate the content of math courses at any level. To accomplish the things I've talked about I would need to work with other departments to collaborate and share tools and we can easily accomplish better communication through technology. Learning of the new possibilities for advanced classrooms gives me the opportunity to launch students through my course and for them to participate in a better way of education.

Movie Reflection:
Wow, kids really want every amenity of life at their finger tips. I don't know if I so much agree with this aspect. The world imagine they are talking about is filled with people with headphones in messing around just purely entertaining themselves at all times. Most places that used to be considered places to congregate are now solo escapes like Starbucks some people still converse but mostly people remain in their own bubble without interaction. School lunch and breaks are becoming this way, home time "family time", and the gym. I see people texting all day to old relationships... how does someone create a new relationship or just acquaintances. You don't say hi to someone anymore you pretend to fidget with your phone or ipod. But it also very understandable. I'd like the options to edit papers, do homework online without a book, or deal with things for my business at the click of a button anywhere that I am. So I understand the desire but what are the consequences for our society? Again in my classroom I do plan to incorporate technology that doesn't take away from the community of learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment